Take Time to Learn a Skill, Master a Trade- Mike Rowe

Mike Rowe doesn’t claim to speak for any one but himself, but what he says resonates with all of us who are “addicted to” paved roads, smooth runways,  running water, safety and medical devices that perform. You get the picture.

Here is a brief personal video of Mike Rowe talking about America’s dysfunctional relationship with work, the skills gap, and the percentage of college graduates matriculating into debt. And the number of job openings for people with skills.

Interested in not graduating into debt? Interested in a rewarding career?

Consider a Skilled Trade.

Precision Machining Career Resources

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Debt and Underemployment, Manufacturing Careers, Rewarding Jobs and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Take Time to Learn a Skill, Master a Trade- Mike Rowe

1. Pingback: We Recommend: Writing on Strategy, Execution and H.R. Management | Rosanna Nadeau & Associates, Consultants

2. When will our government, educators and business leaders come together to implement real world solutions? All we see is lip service and no action with only a few local exceptions.

• April says:

Our government in Canada does the same thing. They talk up these programs “Skilled Trades Training Programs” and that will train us but not give us the jobs they are outsourcing and hiring temp. foreign workers for.

3. Mark Lesselroth says:

What a great message!

4. David L. Bradley says:

Mike, well said. It is a shame that this condition exists. It starts at the top. The president of GM made a statement right before the taxpayer bailout, “the toolmakers in this country will not get a dime of business on any new GM projects”. I have been in the tool shop business for over 45 years. You can’t make over 1 to 2 percent at best on any automotive tooling anymore. They always get the product design to you late, have you start over numerous times due to design changes, and the due date is still the due date. You quote a 12 week delivery and the they give you the design 7 weeks before the due date. They beat you up all the way, deduct from the price if you are late and they won’t pay for sometimes as long as 24 months after delivery. A 6 man tool shop isn’t in the banking business. Even if you fix the skill gap, the problem starts at the top. The people that put the tool shops in this country,out of business and send the work over seas, to China, are giving the work to sweat shops. We have seen them. The employees live at the tooling factory. They work 20 hours a day. The work goes on 24-7. Our business people that are expecting this are not willing to live this way. I belong to a group called The Northeast Indiana Machinist Group. Our mission is to support bringing young people into the trade to follow behind us. For 2 or 3 years in a row, we raised enough money to give away 3 and 4 scholarships to be used for machinist / toolmaker programs. Three years ago we gave 2 of the 3 available, and they were not used. Last year there were no takers. Who wants to get into a trade that gets the short stick. I think Michigan is the only place the really gets this. They discount income and property taxes to retain the skill base. I truly hope that this damage to the skilled trades can be un-done.

5. Paul Litschko says:

I always find it interesting that Doctor’s, Lawyer’s, Plant Manager’s etc. make great decisons and can manage and help people but they have tools to do so. Who installs those tools and who maintains them? Trades. A Doctor relys on an MRI machine, that was built, installed and maintained by tradesman. A lawyers uses a computer and has an office that was all built by trades people and maintained by trades poeple. Manufacturing comes to a hault when a machine breaks and who do we call? And if the trades didn’t come we would still be down. My kids ask me what they should be and I tell them any trade because all the other kids who become Doctors and Dentists will need you and there will be shortage.

6. David L. Bradley says:

you deleted my reply??

7. PEOPLEFREE says:

When the next wave of manufacturing is gone it will become more apparent that the skills gap has to do with a democratic government being overtaken strategically by a communist government. Ask anybody over there how they got our job’s here and they will say the only skill required was showing up at the government run factory. How skillful is that!

57,000 factories down that had skilled people producing, paying taxes, health & safety and supporting neighborhoods. Numbers will speak…

8. Roger Chafe says:

I didn’t have the opportunity get my four year degree, but I did learn a trade as an all-around machinist and programmer, it has supplied me with a career for over 35 years. It made all the difference in my life to support my family. Thanks to Mike Rowe for recognizing the value of work and hands on labor.

9. Doug says:

I would love to be apart of the solution here. I am an industrial arts teacher who is with out a teaching job right now, but I am working toward becoming employeed as one. For now I am learning as much as by working in and studying industry so I can to help find solutions, some way, some how, I am going to help make a difference. Mike Rowe has it right, what we value is what we believe is important.

Whats the old saying what is right is not always popular and whats popular is not always right…..I believe it can be applied to the value of work in one sense or another.

10. Pingback: Manufacturing Leaders – The Very Best of the Very Latest Reads | Prism Perspectives Group LLC